Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day Six: Boo Homework

I chose today to be a responsible study abroad student, and do the week’s homework that was required of me today. I knew that the next day was going to be our day trip into Dublin, and I was well aware how much a day of walking around could snatch away your energy. So I dutifully went to my classes today, enjoyed another of Ena’s fine dinners and read an overview of the experience Ireland and America shared from the mid-1800s to the present. Thrilling, to be sure.

As with school, doing homework in another country is full of more distractions than you can shake a stick at. But I was proud of myself of resisting offers to go to the pub and instead hitting the books. I was ultimately proven to have sound reasoning, as everyone else was quite tired during the next day’s excursion. Wow. I sound like a Goofus and Gallant cartoon from Highlights Magazine. Well, I don’t really expect to keep this trend. I’m sure by the end of five weeks I’ll have gone native, and I won't be able to speak in any language other than Gaelic let alone an article debating the role the Great Famine should play in the American education system.

No comments:

Post a Comment